Hearing Aid Assistance Programs in Alberta
Posted by Living Sounds
- Here in Alberta, there is assistance available through Alberta Health and Wellness and Blue Cross towards the purchase of Hearing Aids (Alberta Aids to Daily Living).
- This funding is available once every five years as required and is available to all seniors (65 and over) and low-income adults (18-64). Levels are based on your last tax return.
- If you file income tax as a single person and your taxable income on your most recent income tax return is $20,970 or less (found on line 260), you may qualify for cost-share exemption.If you file as a family with no children and your income (on line 260) is $33,240 or less, you may also qualify for cost-share exemption.
- If you file as a family with children and your income (on line 260) is $39,250 or less you may also qualify for cost-share exemption.
- If your income is above the levels previously stated, the government will contribute $900 towards the purchase (seniors only).
- If you do not qualify through AADL for cost-share exemption, you still may get funding if you meet the requirements of the Special Needs Assistance for Seniors program and/or Temporary Assistance for financial hardship.
- Children (0-18) who require hearing aids are covered by AADL.
- If you have worked around noise for more than two years and your test results are consistent with occupational noise-induced hearing loss (ONIHL), you may be eligible to apply for assistance through the Workers Compensation Board.
- If you have been in the military, you may be covered for hearing aids under Veterans Affairs, depending on your benefit coverage.
- Also, if you have private insurance such as Sun Life, etc. you can give them a call to see if they have any coverage for hearing aids.
These are things your hearing health provider will go over with you to find out what coverage you may be eligible for.
So, if you or anyone you know feels they are not hearing as they should please call us at (1-833-559-4327), and we would love to help you with your hearing health needs.